At a glance | Concept
We offer children a setting in which they can enjoy learning and can develop into happy and successful citizens of the world.
Our teaching and learning concept
- To focus on developing the student's whole personality
- To encourage individual abilities
- To provide a protected and friendly atmosphere for learning
- To maintain a holistic view of the personalities of the children entrusted to us at all times
- To promote tolerance and understanding
- To establish partnerships between parents and teachers
People from over 15 countries learn, teach and shape the school life of the MIS.
How do we achieve these aims?
- Small classes of no more than 22 students
- A core educational philosophy of shared learning experiences throughout the whole day
- Genuine bilingual teaching (German and English)
- Courses which match students' individual abilities
- Mixed-age teaching to suit individual students' needs
- Teaching which is geared to the strengths and weaknesses of the child
- Individual learning plans for each child
- Highly developed feedback structures
- Room for learning at different speeds
- Individualized teaching
- Nurturing independence "First ask two other students before you ask the teacher…"
- Genuine bilingual teaching fostered using the renowned Canadian immersion method*
- Intensive language courses in German and English
- Communication of intercultural competence
- Structured timetable with learning, sports, music, creative, freetime and play units
- "Daily assembly"
- "Daily physical activities"
- Lunch together
- Home work sessions
- Teachers who are highly motivated native speakers
- Well developed structures within the teaching team
- Excellent cooperation with parents (MISPA)
*Immersion method: At the MIS we achieve authentic bilingual teaching by applying the total immersion concept. This is an innovative concept in Germany but one which has been applied very successfully for over 40 years - in the teaching of French in Anglophone Canada, for example. The main feature of this concept is consistent and comprehensive teaching in the second language. In other words, the second language is the medium of learning and not the subject itself.