Do you have any questions?

This page answers some of the questions we are frequently asked.
However, please feel free to contact us by telephone or e-mail if you can't find the answer to your question here.
Phone: +49 (0)6204 7087796 or e-mail: Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo.

What syllabus do we teach at the MIS?

We offer the following types of schooling:

  • International track (trilingual kindergarten - primary - secondary 1 + 2 leading to IGCSE - International A Level qualifications)
  • Bilingual track (bilingual primary school through to secondary which leads to the IGCSE - International A level)

The MIS is an approved substitute school which fulfils the compulsory education requirements of German law. Our curricula are based on the guidelines set down in the English-language Cambridge International Programme, which has an excellent reputation all around the world, and the core curriculum of the Federal State of Hesse.

What qualifications can students obtain at the MIS?

  1. Cambridge IGCSE (14-16 years)
    According to Germany's Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, this final examination is evidence that the student has reached the same level of academic achievement as that represented by the German secondary ("mittlere Reife") level of education.
    All students who successfully finish class 10 at a Gymnasium are automatically deemed to have successfully attained a secondary level of academic achievement.
  2. International A and AS Level (16-19 years)
    Students who successfully sit these examinations acquire advanced level qualifications. Depending on educational institution and course, as well as the number of subjects taken and the grades obtained, a Cambridge Advanced education is a university entrance qualification. It also qualifies graduates to enter the labour market and certain kinds of occupational training.

We offer Gymanasium classes up to and including the introductory phase (class 10). Our students then have very good options which either lead to the German Abitur qualification or to an equivalent qualification:

  • Attendance at classes in school years 11 and 12 at our international school which leads to the A and AS Level qualifications 
  • Attendance at classes in school years 11 and 12 of a state Gymnasium in Hesse or other federal state in Germany.
  • Attendance at classes at a vocational Gymnasium
  • Attendance at a sixth form college in England or other English-speaking country.

Are the teachers at the MIS qualified?

They certainly are. All MIS teachers hold international or German qualifications as well as corresponding teaching certificates.

Who are we here for?

The MIS is dedicated to serving the educational needs of families who have moved to the metropolitan Rhine-Neckar region for work-related reasons as well as families living in the region who are particularly interested in providing their child with an international education and the opportunity to learn English the way native speakers do.

Can German students attend?

Yes. Our combined curriculum offers not only an internationally competitive education in the English and German languages, but we also ensure that German children will fulfill all requirements of compulsory education (Schulpflicht).

Can students enrol half way through the school year?

They certainly can. Students can register to attend the MIS at any time of the year. Places at the school are offered with great care according to availability and the individual prerequisites of each child.

Is there an Open Day, or can we visit the school?

Our "Open Day" will take place two times a year, which will be announced on the Homepage. Prospective families are always welcome to visit the school on an individual basis. Appointments can be made by contacting the school office.
Phone: +49 (0) 6204 7087796 or e-mail: Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo.

Which country do most of the students come from?

More than 15 countries are represented by our student body. The largest number of students represent Germany, followed by the USA. Some students have dual citizenship and many represent more than one country as a result of the different citizenships of their parents. Most students speak English, and many are bilingual or trilingual or even more.

With so many internationally mobile families, isn't it difficult for children to lose friends when they move on?

It's never easy if your best friend leaves, and international schools in general have a slightly higher rate of attrition than state schools. However, with the help of the internet and the fact that these families are so mobile, many children stay in close touch with each other and visit each other during school breaks. This is often seen as a wonderful opportunity for an international holiday. Many students thus have the advantage of an international network of friends by the time they leave an international school.

What will happen when we return home/move on? How will my child fit into the former/new school?

One of the advantages of an international curriculum is that it enables children to move more easily from one country or school to another. Tolerance, flexibility and the ability to cope with change are some of the values and skills encouraged and taught at MIS Viernheim which will help children to adjust to such moves.

Is American or British English taught?

Both! English is spoken in many countries around the world and the various national differences in the language are viewed as a positive enrichment to the students' learning environment.

Will my child learn German?

All students receive instruction in German. It is taught as a subject, offered at all levels, from "German as a Foreign Language (DaF)" to "Advanced German".

Do MIS students wear a school uniform?

Yes. Students at the MIS wear school uniform. Items of the school uniform are made of natural materials, are pleasant to wear and are emblazoned with the school's logo and the student's own name.

Is there a school bus to the MIS?

We are pleased to be able to offer students several school bus routes. The routes are planned every term to meet current needs. A monthly charge is made for use of the school bus. Information about present routes can be found under the menu item "School bus".

How are parents involved in school life at the MIS?

The MIS school culture is based on a partnership between parents and teachers. The MISPA is the active representative body for parents at our school. All the parents of MIS students automatically become MISPA members when their children enrol at the school. The MISPA plays an active role in events as well as providing direct support to the school's teaching. MISPA representatives meet with the school management once a month to ensure open communication.

What is the class size at most grade levels?

All classes have a maximum of 22 students, allowing for individualized attention.

How long is the school day?

Regular instructional hours occur from 8:30 AM until 4:00 PM. For any students requiring additional morning or afternoon care, the school is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Extracurricular activities are often offered after the regular school hours for an additional fee.

How is the school day structured?

Every morning begins with a whole-school assembly. During the day, students receive short breaks for snack, lunch, and recesses.

How about Tax Consessions?

Half of the contributions paid by parents are allotted to the school fees, the other half to the mentoring of the students.
In accordance with current tax laws, this means:
30% of the school fees, 5,000 Euros per child at most, are tax reductible as special expenses for parents. For children who are not 14 years old yet, and who have both parents working, parents can claim 2/3 (two thirds) of the mentoring costs, 4,000 Euros at most, as tax allowable expenses or deduction from taxable income.
This information is given as endorsement without recours, and in accordance with the best of our knowledge. Furthermore, we suggest you contact your tax advisor.